Life. Literacy. Learn. Lead.

Life. Literacy. Learn. Lead.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

#SOL15- The "To-Do" List

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers and the Slice of Life writing community for providing this opportunity to share our "slices."
                                                                SOL

And thank YOU for stopping by to read my very own little "slice." :-)

As I mentioned in my One Little Word ( OLW ) post a few days ago, my #OLW2015 is...want.  Today I found a surprising "side effect" of this word that I didn't expect.

As I walked into my classroom today, the usual flood of melancholy feelings started swarming. I now share an instructional coach space with a friend and colleague. I've previously spent the last 13 years as a first and second grade classroom teacher. This year I made a huge change and am now the K-5 literacy coach at my school. As much as I'm enjoying and learning from this new position, I still get little pings of sadness as I find myself missing having my own class of kiddos. As I put down my bags, I successfully managed to replace my melancholy thoughts with those of gratitude. Each day I find my self quickly reflecting on what I've learned in this position that I wouldn't have been able to had I not made this change. It always leaves me with a happy feeling and confirmation that I'm in the right place--grateful for this opportunity.

I quickly began to size up the day and prioritize all the tasks I wanted to accomplish. With my OLW in mind, I began to notice that my "to-do" list is really a list that could be split right in half: one side including things I want to accomplish and the other side filled with important must-do's that weren't necessarily mine :) So, I did something unusual. I started with the side of the list that I wanted to accomplish. I worked and worked feeling happy to be checking off the things on the list that I wanted to complete.

Before I knew it, our classroom space was filled with the hussle and bussle of my favorite part of the job. My new "class." Colleagues. I had put a decent dent into the "other" side of the list and carried on with the day.

It seems so simple, but at the end of the day I realized I actually saved time. That quick decision to start the day where I wanted led me to understand that we sometimes have to fill our own bucket before we can start to help others fill their buckets. Kind of like the flight attendant telling you that in the event of an emergency, you should start by putting on your own air mask before assisting another. Now that led me to think about airplanes which made me think of NYC which will be a whole 'nother "slice" post on a whole 'nother day :-) 

And to think it all started with OLW.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Marcie!

    So glad you're joining us today for SOL and for sharing your OLW.

    I can't imagine the difference between teaching first and second and then being a coach. I remember my first year out of the classroom was so hard. However, one learns to get used to the new norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey. You are right-I'll get used to it for sure. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts :-)

      Delete
  2. Welcome to blogging and the SOL, Marcie. Leaving the classroom is hard, but has different rewards. Create a support system for yourself if you haven't already! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do! Thank goodness, right? Are you a coach?

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I love your word and leaving the classroom is hard...just think about the impact and all the many kids you will make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Beth and... that's a GREAT point. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of separating the to-do list with things you want to do. Sure seems like it would be a great way to speed up the checking off part! I am so glad I barged in on your tweet and was able to help you connect with this wonderful community. I think you will love it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Leigh Anne! I was singing your praises today to my mom. ❤️ Thank you for guidance.

      Delete
  6. I love your word and the meaning behind it. It must've been pretty cool realizing so quickly how that will play a role in your work life. I tend to fall into the same situation - making lists of things I want to do with a few things that need to be done that I'll probably be the one to do thrown in there.

    I hope your wants are positive ones this year and that they lead you to great things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you turned what you missed into what you can now enjoy...in a different way. You are still fostering a sense of community, even though the bodies are bigger! Good luck...and welcome to our SOL community!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will try this. I, too, get bogged down by all of the things that I should do for others and run out of gas before I can get to the things I want to do. I can see how flipping my own list and completing some of the things I want to do would be beneficial. Thanks! It won't hurt to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great example of how OLW starts to change your life!

    I moved from teaching to coaching six years ago, and every year I flirt with the idea of going back in the classroom. I really, really miss it. I totally understand that melancholy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to Slice of Life and our blogging community. I love the way you're using your OLW to prioritize. I usually try to do the must-do's first and rarely get to the want-to-do's. It was surprising that your system actually saved time. It will be fun to follow your journey with want.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to blogging! This is such a supportive writing community! I never thought to start with the want side of the to-do list before ... but today, as I have a day off from school due to the cold weather, I have a long list -- and I think I will start with my want side first! (Actually, I already am because I'm taking time to read some slices!)

    Enjoy the journey of blogging, sharing, connecting -- and all that you WANT this year!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete