Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers and the Slice of Life writing community for providing this opportunity to share our "slices." Thanks to Stacey, Anna, Beth, Tara, Dana and Betsy for creating a place for us to share our work. Check out the other slices and join in the fun!
As part of our National Reading Month celebration we had poet, Allan Wolf, come to our school this week. He was absolutely fantastic. He even wore one of our "Keep Calm and Read On" t-shirts that we made as a staff. He was engaging and oh-so-talented. We laughed, we oooooo'd and ahhhhhhh'd, and we marveled in his amazing ability to recite poetry, sing, and entertain.
Here's a bit of video I recorded from Tuesday:
Our library media specialist introduced him like this:
Ten Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Allan Wolf
10. Allan can recite hundreds of poems from memory.
9. Allan’s latest book is about the RMS Titanic.
8. Allan is a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
7. Allan once had a pet chicken named “Atilla the Hen.”
6. Allan has two cats named Scurvy and Mange.
5. Allan is a dad with three teenage kids, two boys and a girl.
4. Allan never watches television. (He doesn’t even own one!)
3. Allan plays drums in a band called The Dead Poets.
2. Allan dreams of one day living in a house with a secret room.
1. Allan can ride a skateboard standing on his hands.
Teachers left inspired to teach.
Kids left inspired to write.
I left inspired to create my own...
"Ten Things You (Probably) Don't Know About Marcie"
10. I have a favorite blanket from childhood.
9. I can not make it through a movie without falling asleep, but my favorite all time movie is The Cutting Edge.
8. I used to figure skate.
7. I have always wanted to join a women's hockey team.
6. I attended a live taping of The Katie Couric show in NYC last spring.
5. I failed my first road test.
4. I went to see Celine Dion in Vegas three times.
3. I love to travel and can pack in 30 minutes.
2. I find P!nk to be an inspiring, strong woman.
1. I'm the world's worst road trip passenger.
Believe it or not this took some time and A LOT of thought to create. It was not as easy as I thought it would be due to the "probably don't know" part because I tend to live like an open book :)