Life. Literacy. Learn. Lead.

Life. Literacy. Learn. Lead.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

#SOL15 Real Superheroes 2/17/15

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers and the Slice of Lifewriting community for providing this opportunity to share our "slices." Thanks to Stacey, Anna, Beth, Tara, Dana and Betsy for creating a place for us to share our work. Check out the other slices and join in the fun!


                                                              

Real Superheroes

In the blink of an eye, in the flash of a light the real superheroes around us everyday pull off amazing stunts. 

My superheroes are my parents. 

So last night my dog, Owen, start limping. Of course my parents, my boys, my hubby and I were all concerned. Trying to figure out the problem, we settled on the hypothesis that maybe the mountains of snow that our dog has to climb over to get to the backyard could of perhaps caused him to pull a muscle. We evaluated. We called the vet. We worried. 

My dad went into action.

My husband had to work late last night an hour away so my boys and I hung at my parents. My dad, concerned for his grand puppy, offered to drive Owen home. Now we seriously live at opposite ends of the same street. About a quarter mile :) My dad insisted and won. So, Owen climbed into the minivan which my dad insisted was easier for Owen to climb into while my boys and I climbed into our Equinox. 

Sneaky moves.

As my dad gets Owen out of the van I see a shovel. Mind you it is below zero out in upstate NY. I asked "What are you doing?" He said, "Just shoveling a path for Owen." So there he went to work. Below Zero. Cold hands. Numb limbs. Heavy work. 

My dad would literally move mountains for his grand puppy, grand kids, kids, neighbors, whomever.

But, this time he moved snow mountains for Owen. True love.

My dad is a superhero. 

7 comments:

  1. Your dad is a wonderful person! My heart feels warmer just reading your thoughts.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one lucky lady - what a dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dads are the best! That IS hard work. Tell him to take it easy, now! I love your short and sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story -- and an even sweeter Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dad is great! I loved your use of short sentences and long sentences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made me teary. Your dad sounds so wonderful!
    My dad is my superhero too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made me teary. Your dad sounds so wonderful!
    My dad is my superhero too!

    ReplyDelete